Przygonski wins Dubai Baja in MINI John Cooper Works Rally
· Second victory for Przygonski in a MINI
· Kuba takes the lead in the overall FIA World Cup standings
Jakub’ Kuba’ Przygonski (POL) and Tom Colsoul (BEL) have won 2018 the Dubai International Baja in the MINI John Cooper Works Rally. With this success in the second round of the FIA World Cup for Cross-Country Rallies, the young Pole can take the lead in the overall standings. It is his second success after the Baja Italy in 2017.
The foundation for the victory was laid by Przygonski and Colsoul on Friday when they won the first special stage. “It was a quick stage in the dunes”, reports the Pole. “I pushed hard and was able to overtake three competitors. The terrain was not too heavy, soft sand and dunes, but no special difficulties.” However, this success also meant that they had to open the second and final stage in the dunes. But they also mastered this challenge. The third place in the stage standings was enough for the duo in the MINI JCW Rally to win the Baja. “We are very happy,” smiles the Pole at the finish. “Today was not so easy. We were first in the stage and the sand was very soft. But we pushed from the beginning. The MINI ran without any problem and we are extremely happy that we were able to take the lead in the overall standings.”
The next event for the X-raid team is the Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge (24-29 March 2018).
Result Dubai International Baja 2018:
1. J. Przygonski (POL) / T. Colsoul (BEL) MINI JCW Rally – 4h 10m 27s
2. V. Vasilyev (RUS) / K. Zhiltsov (RUS) MINI One – 4h 14m 35s
3. Y. Seaidan (KSA) / A. Kuzmich (RUS) Toyota – 4h 16m 07s
4. M. Prokop (CZE) / J. Tomanek (CZE) Ford – 4h 46m 03s
5. M. Al Helei (UAE) / K. Alkendi (UAE) Nissan – 4h 48m 52s