May 30, 2018
Al-Rajhi/Gottschalk lead in the MINI John Cooper Works Rally
All MINI in the Top 10
After three days at the Rally Kazakhstan, the fifth event in the FIA World Cup for Cross Country Rallies, two MINI John Cooper Works Rally are at the top of the overall standings. Yazeed Al-Rajhi (KSA) and Timo Gottschalk (GER) have won two of the four special stages so far and are currently leading the standings. Jakub “Kuba” Przygonski (POL) and Tom Colsoul (BEL) secured their first stage victory today and are in second place.
Al-Rajhi and Gottschalk got along very well with the terrain of the Kazakhstan Rally right from the start. On the first two days the duo was the fastest and finished almost eight minutes behind the runner-up in the overall standings. Thus they were able to keep the lead even today, despite a fourth place in the daily standings. “It’s really a great event. The first two days were very fast and it was still demanding today,” reports Al-Rajhi. “We were able to take a good lead, so we didn’t push so hard today. But the others were right there. Tomorrow we want to widen the gap again and try to get through the last days without mistakes.”
Przygonski and Colsoul were also among the leaders right from the start. Yesterday they lost some time due to a problem with the drive shaft, but today they were able to catch up again. With their stage victory they regained second place in the overall standings. “We are very happy about the day’s victory,” said Przygonski at the finish. “We pushed right from the start and got through without a problem. There is a lot of dust on these tracks and it is difficult to overtake competitors. Sometimes you just have to take the risk and attack in the dust. Tomorrow, more than 400 kilometres are on the agenda again. The dunes are not easy, as there are many bushes and camel grass.”
Alphand and Schulz finished the first day in second place overall. But on Tuesday, a flat tire and a heavy impact in a dune threw them back to fifth place. Also the third day was not without problems. “We had two flats and were therefore very long without spare tyres and accordingly cautious on the road,” reports the Frenchman. “We try to improve the buggy every day. It’s important to get him to the finish, but I have to say that Kazakhstan is a great country to drive a rally.”
Khoroshavtsev and Pavlov perform very well on their MINI JCW Rally debut. The two Russians have consistently placed in the top 10 over the past few days and are currently in seventh place overall.
Rally Kazakhstan – Overall result after SS3
1. Yazeed Al-Rajhi (SAU) / Timo Gottschalk (GER) MINI John Cooper Works Rally – 9h 52m 52s
2. Kuba Przygonski (POL) / Tom Colsoul (BEL) MINI John Cooper Works Rally – 9h 56m 52s
3. Vladimir Vasilyev (RUS) / Konstantin Zhiltsov (RUS) MINI ALL4 Racing – 9h 57m 36s
4. Martin Prokop (CZE) / Jan Tomanek (CZE) Ford – 10h 03m 42s
5. Luc Alphand (FRA) / Andreas Schulz (GER) MINI John Cooper Works Buggy – 10h 18m 47s
9. Victor Khoroshavtsev (RUS) / Dmitry Pavlov (RUS) MINI John Cooper Works Rally – 10h 44m 26s
Rally Kazakhstan – Result SS3
1. Kuba Przygonski (POL) / Tom Colsoul (BEL) MINI John Cooper Works Rally – 3h 24m 35s
2. Martin Prokop (CZE) / Jan Tomanek (CZE) Ford – 3h 25m 23s
3. Vladimir Vasilyev (RUS) / Konstantin Zhiltsov (RUS) MINI ALL4 Racing – 3h 26m 40s
4. Yazeed Al-Rajhi (SAU) / Timo Gottschalk (GER) MINI John Cooper Works Rally – 3h 29m 38s
5. Luc Alphand (FRA) / Andreas Schulz (GER) MINI John Cooper Works Buggy – 3h 35m 52s
9. Victor Khoroshavtsev (RUS) / Dmitry Pavlov (RUS) MINI John Cooper Works Rally – 3h 45m 15s
Jul 31, 2021 Comments Off on McErlean “fully focused” on upcoming World Rally Championship outing
Jul 31, 2021 Comments Off on Netflix to feature specials on Michael Schumacher, John DeLorean & Car Masters: Rust to Riches
Jul 31, 2021 Comments Off on 5 podium run takes Michael Sweeney to Dunlop Masters Superbike Championship lead
Jul 31, 2021 Comments Off on Extreme E to race in Sardinia, Italy
Comments Off on McErlean “fully focused” on upcoming World Rally Championship outing
Comments Off on Netflix to feature specials on Michael Schumacher, John DeLorean & Car Masters: Rust to Riches
Comments Off on 5 podium run takes Michael Sweeney to Dunlop Masters Superbike Championship lead
Comments Off on Extreme E to race in Sardinia, Italy
Apr 16, 2021TweetThis instalment in Evro’s decade-by-decade series...
Mar 08, 2021TweetTo celebrate International Women’s Day, Alfa Romeo...
Feb 26, 2021TweetHRC are deeply saddened to hear of the passing of...
Feb 07, 2021Tweet*Mid-Atlantic archipelago spectacular hosts new season...
Jan 15, 2021TweetThe Lola Cars Brand, Trademarks, Extensive Technical...
Jul 31, 2021TweetExtreme E, the new electric off-road motorracing series, can today reveal it has reached an agreement in principle with Sardinian officials to host the fourth event of its opening season, the...
Jul 31, 2021
Jul 25, 2021
Jul 25, 2021
Jul 23, 2021